Skip to main content

UTANKA

Veda  returned to his own abode and ashrama.He also had three disciples.He had seen hard days as a disciple,so he chose to be a lenient taskmaster .One morning as he was about to depart from his home on some business,he called upon Utanka,one of his disciples,to take charge of his household.He said,’’whatever needs to be done in this  house in my absence, you should do it without neglect.’’Then he embarked on his journey.
Utanka religiously followed his master’s orders. One day the females of the guru’s hermitage  gathered around him and said,’’Our mistress is in her most fertile period of the month.The preceptor is absent,now you stand in his place to do whatever is needed.’’Utanka answered,’’I can’t act so thoughtlessly at the mere provocation of some women. My preceptor hasn’t taught me to be  immoral.’’
Veda returned from his journey after some time.He was extremely pleased when he came to know  that Utanka had passed the test of morality .He called Utanka and said,’’What favours shall I bestow on you, my dear child?You have served me religiously like a true friend. I grant you leave to depart to your own abode. May all your wishes be fulfilled.’’
Utanka said that he wanted to give something back in return of the instructions that his master had imparted to him.But the master was reluctant to take back anything in return. Utanka wasn’t taken aback. He repeated his proposal to his guru after a few days. Veda said,’’My dear, you have often told me of your desire to bring me something by way of acknowledgement of the lessons that I have imparted to you. I implore you to go to my wife and bring her back whatever she desires.’’
So  Utanka went and presented himself in front of the lady of the house. He said,’’Dear lady, the preceptor has given me permission to bring you anything that you desire for.This will be the honorarium that I desire to pay in return for the instructions that I have received from my guru,your husband.’’The preceptress said,’’ I want you to go to King Paushya and beg from him the pair of ear-rings worn by his queen.  You should bring me those on the fourth day from now as it is a sacred day and I want to appear in front of the Brahmanas adorned in those rings. If you are successful in your mission, good fortune will come your way, but if you can’t, what good can you expect?’’
Consequently, Utanka embarked upon his journey. On his way,he first encountered a huge bull. A man of extraordinary built was mounted upon him. The man told Utanka to eat the bull’s excreta. Seeing him hesitate,the man again asked him  and also said that Utanka’s master had done the same thing years ago. So Utanka did as asked and went on his way.
He soon reached King Paushya’s palace and on meeting the king spoke of his mission.The king told him to go to the private chambers of the women and ask for the pair of ear-rings from the Queen. But Utanka was unable to find the Queen in those quarters.He met the King again and said,’’It isn’t proper for you, my lord to treat me so.Your queen isn’t in the private apartments,for I couldn’t find her.’’
The king thought for a while  and said,’’You must be in a state of defilement,for my queen is a pious lady  and doesn’t meet anyone who is defiled.’’Utanka reflected for a moment and said,’’It is so,for I was in a hurry and after the meal, I performed the ablutions in a standing posture.’’ The king sorted out the problem now.
 Utanka sat down facing east and washed his hands, feet and face thoroughly.He then thrice sipped clean water free of froth and wiped his face twice. He sprinkled water on  his eyes and ears.Now as  he again entered the Queen’s quarters he saw the Queen.She was pleased to hear of Utanka’s desire and happily handed him over the ear-rings .At the same time she asked him to be aware of Takshaka who was madly seeking those rings.
Utanka came and met the king,Paushya. Paushya wished to offer him a meal.  Utanka agreed and said,’’Please bring the provisions soon.’’When the food was brought,Utanka saw that it had turned cold and even had a strand of hair in it. Utanka was enraged. He said,’’ As you have offered me unclean food you will turn blind.’’Paushya fired back,’’Since you defile the clean food you will forever remain childless.’’Utanka rebounded,’’Not only have you offered me unclean food,you have cursed me also. Have a close look.’’When Paushya found out that the food was really unclean,he begged Utanka to pardon him.’’Please Utanka,’’he said,’’let me not become blind.’’Utanka answered,’’Though you may become blind,you’ll recover soon.You should also assure me that your curse has no effect on me,’’But Paushya was helpless. He said,’’I am unable to revoke my curse as my anger knows no bound.This is because I am a Kshatriya .My words are sweet but I have an iron heart unlike that of a Brahmana who has a soft heart and razor sharp words. For this I am unable to neutralise my curse.You please go your own way.’’Utanka was not pleased with the answer.’’Alright’’,he said,’’You offer me cold and unclean food and then you curse me.You are not even in a mood to take back your words.But as the food was truly unclean,your curse will not have any effect on me.’’Thus,saying so,Utanka departed with the ear rings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORIES OF ARUNI,UPAMANYU AND VEDA

Ayoda-Dhaumya was a contemporary sage who had three disciples named Upamanyu,Aruni, and Veda.The disciples resided in his hermitage and performed the various tasks that were assigned to them. One fine day,the rishi came to know about a paddy field where a sudden breach of a water course was causing havoc.He  asked Aruni of Panchala to go and stop the flow. Aruni left immediately for the field and on reaching there he saw that he couldn’t stop it by any ordinary means.He was distressed as he didn't want to let down his master. So he went down  and lied down prostrate on the ground,and thus the water was confined. After quite  some time Ayoda-Dhaumya became aware of Aruni’s absence.When he enquired about Aruni,his other disciples reminded him of the errand that the boy had been send for.The guru instantly reached the field along with his disciples to see what the matter was.He cried out for Aruni.On hearing his master’s voice Aruni came out running from  the water-course and tol

PULOMA--THE BEAUTIFUL

A QUICK RECAP---Sauti,the son of Lomaharsana was narrating stories from the Mahabharata  in the august company of the learned sages of those times.  After finishing with the story of Utanka,he again asked Maharshi Saunaka  and the others,’’What now sir?What do you wish to hear now?’’To this the Maharsi replied,’’Recount the history of the clan of Bhrigu, and we will attentively listen to you.’’ {Here I would like to add that the race of Bhrigu, or the descendants of Maharshi Bhrigu  are the modern Bhargava Brahmins who reside mostly in North India} Thus Sauti began his story. When Brahma was conducting a yajna for Varuna, Bhrigu emerged from the sacred fire. He was thought to be one of the manasputras of Brahma. In due time the  son of Brahma grew up and was married to Puloma renowned for her extraordinary beauty.  Bhrigu loved his wife dearly. Puloma was also madly in love with her husband. One morning, when Puloma was heavy with child, Bhrigu went out to a nearby river to

ABOUT ME

        The Mahabharata is one of the masterpieces of world literature. And from time eternal man has been fascinated by stories.This holds true still today-----I mean that’s why all the books are being written and all the movies are being made----and people still throng to book fairs. I am no scholar—yet at the same time  interested in mythology .Its my humble attempt to bring to u my dear friends  the stories from the Mahabharata chronologically in a simple manner without disturbing the main essence. I mean u can call it the layman’s angle to the epic.Your views are most welcome.